Friday, January 27, 2017

Taj Mahal or CW Pencils

I knocked another item off my life list and mentioned to Bob that some people have big items like seeing the Taj Mahal and some have lesser items like shopping at CW Pencils.

This morning Bob and I went over to Chinatown and Canal Street.  I love the store Soul Paper in Saskatoon and have talked about NYC with the owners more than once as they come here annually for a huge paper show.  I asked what shops they would recommend in NYC and this pencil shop was one of them ... the only one I can remember.


The store is ten feet by fifteen feet at most and is very minimalist.  The clerk told us it is the only known store that sells only pencils, unlike many which sell them but pens and stationery products as well.
Some travelers may have dreams of bringing home a ring from Tiffany's while others have dreams of buying some cool pencils.

Chinatown is about smells and sounds as well as sight, but I can only supply you with visuals.






Bob, oh, Bob, which looks the best?
There were signs of spring.  Sellers had bunches of pussy willows ...
... and cherry blossoms.  At least we think these are cherry blossoms.
Judy, Canal Street has jewelry waiting for you.

It's the Chinese Year of the Rooster and that was evidenced in these trees.  Barb, this was right at the corner of Forsyth and Hester Street.  No one was melting the snow on Hester Street as there isn't any snow.  For you others, Barb just read the book Snow Melting on Hester Street and the book is waiting for me at the library when I get home.
Here's a unique way to advertise a business.
While we were doing this, Elizabeth was taking a tour of Radio City Music Hall.
Lunch was an easy decision because the Gorilla Cheese truck was parked across from our hotel.

Bob and Liz went down to Brooklyn while I ambled around Times Square and Hell's Kitchen.

At Housing Works thrift shop employees were putting out boxes of boots and ladies were all around trying to get to them first.
I was taking the next photo when a man with "security" on his vest said, "Miss, no taking photos.  That's a private building."  First, I love being called "miss" instead of "ma'am" and, secondly, I think anyone can take photos of the outside of buildings.  It wasn't even a Trump building!

While I was in Hell's Kitchen, Bob & Liz went to the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn.  They had a pie break at Pies & Thighs.
Here's some of what they saw.





Our pile of tickets has dwindled from ten sets of tickets to zero.  At least we had a grand finale seeing Jessie Mueller in Waitress.
You know it's going to be a good show when the stage curtain is cherry pie.
Little pies in jars were sold at intermission.  I'm going to try recreate this one which is a salted caramel pie made of chocolate, cream, butter, Oreos, sugar, and sea salt.  Hmmmm!  Shouldn't it have one healthy ingredient tucked into it somewhere? 
Before I sign off, I have a p.s. to the Fazermint part of last night's post.  Our friend Glenda has helped us on the quest for these through the years.  I got an email from her which said, "OMG, you found Fazermints!  That's like the Holy Grail of Candyland!"  Indeed it is.

Today was a fall-down-on-the-bed-and-crash day.  Elizabeth's step count was at close to 25,000 which is almost 15 kilometers.

No comments:

Post a Comment