Thursday, February 6, 2014

Divided We Fall


Yup, divided we fall ... fall on the hotel beds from exhaustion from all we each did on our own today.  We lost each other and had our own adventures.  Elizabeth and Bob will have to become bloggers so you know what they did or else you can find out from them in the old-fashioned way ... by conversation!
 
I headed to the Upper East Side first of all and there I had fun looking in shop windows.
The locksmith -

the shoe repairman -
the tailor/laundryman -

the real estate agent-
the caviar salesman-
the olive/pickle man -


And then I found the Lexington Candy Shop Luncheonette which has been there since 1925 and has not been updated since 1948.  It has been in such diverse movies as "The Nanny Diaries" and "Three Days of the Condor" as well as a "Law and Order SVU" episode.

I had an enormous cup of coffee and cinnamon toast for $4.95.  I haven't had cinnamon toast since my mom made it for me when I was a kid and this tasted exactly like hers.  Ah, memories.
I was on subways a lot today and some of the stations have the longest escalators.
Who wouldn't want to be the NY policeman who gets subway duty and gets to zoom around on this.
Kids are off to school no matter where they live.

Some Upper Eastsiders were really regretting not using their vehicles for the last couple of days.
Then I headed over to the Upper West Side where I was surprised to see this outdoor bakery booth.
This is part of the subway wall at the Lincoln Center stop.
One destination on the Upper West Side was Levain's Bakery; I love the size of the bag they gave me for two cookies.
My favorite, favorite museum in Manhattan is the tiny American Folk Art Museum and I visit it every time we are here.  This time their exhibit is "Folk Couture: Fashion and Folk Art."  Here are some photos from it:



This dress is completely made of laser cut vinyl.

This next dress is incredible but the spiky things are actually an art installation behind it.
Judi, I can totally picture you in this next one!


The spikes are part of this one:
And here's what inspired the creation.


There weren't many quilts hanging, but this one was impressive as it is created with cuttings from kimonos.
The applique is exquisite.
Next I headed to the Hell's Kitchen (Clinton) area in midtown and stopped at the Amish Market where I looked but didn't buy at their bakery counter.
What I did buy was a passionfruit from New Zealand and a blood orange grown in the US.
I don't think Mayor Button reads my blog but she would get a chuckle out of everyone blowing or shoveling their snow onto the city streets.  It's expected.  Isn't it illegal in Weyburn?? 
The difference is that their snow will melt in the next few days and ours is there until April ... sad thought, that one.
Next I was off to Greenwich Village to meet Elizabeth at Tea and Sympathy.

 
 



As I worked my way through my scones with jam and clotted cream, I was horrified to find that I was eating off Will and Kate.  Is that acceptable in a British tea shop?
Today the sky was a beautiful blue but the temperature stayed around freezing.  That makes New Yorkers tog themselves in down jackets, scarves, and warm hats of every description.  Most look ready to rob banks with all parts of them hidden except their eyes.  How do they cope with hat hair on their jobs?
Tonight Bob and Elizabeth went to "The Book of Mormon" but since I've seen it twice I opted for "The Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder."  It was a hilarious farce.

Tomorrow we leave here for a couple more adventure-filled days in Toronto.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment