Friday, August 14, 2015

Meandering in Minneapolis

We're in Minneapolis for a couple of days and staying in Bloomington near the Mall of America.  Rob and I have a different area we like because it has Magers and Quinn Bookstore so last night we all headed there.  The store looks like it has been around for 100 years but actually was founded in 1994.  It looks like it's been there so long as it has a rare book section plus consignment books mixed in with the new.
 
You know you are in a hipster part of town when you park beside a pink Volkswagon.
This area of Minneapolis is simply called the Uptown area and there's lots to see and do.
You can dine on a rooftop.
You can swim on a second story.  People got out of this see-through pool right before I got my camera out.
This bar showed me that I really shouldn't be spending big $$$$$ to go to NYC.  I could have the experience right here.
The same place makes me think of my old career ... not bar tending, although I've done that too, but rather teaching English.
Bob took me into a mall in the area to show me barbeques so that I could gasp at the prices.  I gasped!

The ceiling of the mall was cool, but an experience we had there was even more cool.
We met this artist and talked to him for the longest time as he was outgoing and his work was intriguing. His name is Jeffery Gauss and you can check him and his work at  MicroDoodle Calder on Facebook.  The piece behind him, which he is completing for a competition, has taken two years.  The pens he uses have the smallest tips I've even seen and he has magnifying glasses hanging by his works so you can take a closer look.  


When we got to the hotel, it was story time because Nathan had to read the books we bought.
Today the six of us headed to the Nickelodeon Amusement Park at the Mall of America.  It wasn't difficult for us, regardless of age, to enjoy the place. 








But now it's time for us to get some zzzzzzzzs because we've got to be rested up for a Twins' ballgame tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment