Wednesday, July 27, 2016

It's Been Asked

I've been asked a couple of things since we got back from our trip.

One reader remembered that in the first post about this trip, I mentioned that it's the first of three trips we'll be going on.  Those trips don't include Park Rapids, Winnipeg, and Thompson which we still hope to do this summer, but rather it refers to another trip to Chemainus and then a trip to New York City.  We'll be in Chemainus for twelve glorious days at Christmas and we'll be in NYC for eight days in January.  Yes, NYC can be wet, cold, stormy, etc, etc in January, but it is also CHEAP.

This photo is a clue to both those trips as it was taken at the buffet at the Chemainus Theatre and it has part of their NYC set from last Christmas's Elf.  Elizabeth will be in between shows so she'll come to New York too.  That means I'll have cool coffee/tea breaks there, something I don't have when it's just Bob and me.

Glenda asked me about the shows we saw as she said I didn't comment on them much.  We saw Young Frankenstein, Grease, 42nd Street and Shrek in Bigfork, Footloose in Chemainus, and both Rock of Ages and Pericles in Vancouver.  All had their pluses.  Young Frankenstein was so much more professionally done than the time we saw it before.  Grease was high energy and Shrek had amazing costumes.  42nd Street tops my list of those four as the singing, dancing, and everything else came together perfectly.

Chemainus helped move Footloose up my scale of favorite musicals as it used to be rock bottom.  It was good to see a professional company perform it.  Rock of Ages was fine but I felt the instruments were competing with the voice.  Pericles, the only non-musical of the seven, was my favorite.  Everything regarding set design and costuming was used so effectively.  We were lucky to hear a talk about Pericles before the show and we were lucky it was a talk-back night so we heard the actors answer thought-provoking questions about the production.

Are seven shows too many for one summer?  No way!  I see Cinderella is playing in Moose Jaw and there are still two Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan shows to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment